Dear friends, My blog has moved!
Please visit me over at my new site!


I hope to see you there!

~Jenni



Saturday, January 1, 2011

Miniature Linen Wreath {and a few others, too}


Hi friends!

Happy New Year to you all! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend! I don't know about you, but I am excited to see what 2011 will hold. I love the thought of another year and a fresh start. And maybe it's silly, but I always make New Year's resolutions. How about you?

Well now...Do you remember the linen wreath I made this past fall?



Well, as I was going just a little crazy making ornaments this Christmas, I thought it would be fun to try and make a miniature version of this...


{Miniature Linen Wreath}


Now, don't worry I haven't lost my marbles...I know it's not Christmas anymore. But I just had to show you this idea, because one thing so often leads to another...


{Miniature Wreath with Ticking}


{Miniature Felt Wreath}


I love miniature things. I just can't help it. And I'm thinking that these little wreaths could used any time of the year, not just as ornaments at Christmas time. :)

With the original linen wreath, I opened a wire coat hanger and formed a circle. I "poked" the linen strips though one end, and wove the linen onto the hanger. But I was curious if thick gauge wire would work. I found some at Michael's in their beading section...It is 12" gauge aluminum jewelry wire.

Now in the past year I have discovered many wonderful tools, but one of my favorite hand tools is the common awl. With a handle like a screwdriver, this tool has a sharp point that is perfect for making little holes in fabric. Any fabric. This makes fabric easy to slide onto handmade wire wreath forms, of whatever size you like...

{What you'll need}

Awl

Pliers

12" gauge jewelry wire

Fabric of choice

Glue Gun/glue sticks

Ribbon

Here is how I made my wreaths~



With a pair of pliers, I formed into about a circle, about three inches in diameter.



I cut the strips of felt about one inch wide...



And this is where the awl comes in...Make holes in the felt or other fabric with the awl, and try to make the holes about one inch apart. {You want the spaces between the holes to be the same as the width of the strips.}



Now just weave the fabric through the wire, accordion style, by way of the little holes the awl made.



Once it is nice and full all around, make a knot with your pliers.



I added a little bow to the front with my glue gun...I also tied a loop of rick rack onto the top of the wreath and slipped it between the folds of the felt, easy peasy. :)



And there you have it!



If you want a linen wreath, just follow these same instructions, but there are just two things I have to add. In the tutorial for the original linen wreath, I ripped the linen strips for extra fullness. However, for strips this small in width, I found the wreath looked way better if I cut them. Even if you cut them, linen or other cloth fabric will fray quite a bit. (Ticking frayed more than the linen.) I spent some time cutting away the strings, until I was happy with how they looked...

Okay, and here's a confession: I got further carried away with this wreath idea, and make a half-sized version of the large linen wreath, but with felt...again. The one below is eight inches in diameter~ hopefully hanging it on this shutter gives you a little perspective on it's size.


{Ruffled Felt Wreath}


It is eight inches total in diameter~ hopefully hanging it on this shutter gives you a little perspective on it's size. I think felt is such a warm and cozy fabric~ just perfect for winter. :)

You can use a thick gauge wire for this wreath as well, and it is extremely easy to work with. I do think though that if you are making anything larger than 10 inches, you would want to use a stronger wire, like a hanger, because at that point you want something that can support more weight. :) I made it the same way as the others, only the strips were 2-1/2 to 3 inches wide, and the wire circle that I began with was about six inches in diameter...

I am linking this to Freckled Laundry's "Air Your Laundry" party...If you haven't heard of this party, be sure to check it out! I love the theme, which is "Textiles" every Friday. So if you have a craft or project that includes cloth, be sure to head over and link it up to Jami's party! I always see some of the most beautiful things there...

I am also linking this to Tatertots and Jello's Weekend Wrap Up Party, Under the Table and Dreaming's Sunday Showcase Party,
and Sew Chatty. :)


Thank you so much for stopping by! :)

Have a beautiful night~

~Jenni


38 comments:

Tammy @ Type A said...

very cute, love the big and mini versions.

Erin said...

Hello dearest!!!! I am such a HUGE fan of these wreaths, I love them all so much and was so stoked when I saw the first one...I agree, that felt one just says warm and cozy...Great tutorial, I could do this and I have some fabric that I don't know what to do with, so this goes on my list of projects!!! Hope you had a great holiday!

Anonymous said...

Happy New year! Beautiful wreath - I like the grey ribbon best but they are all very sweet!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! I fell in love when I saw this linen wreath awhile back! I still want to make one. Love the mini version...maybe, I can start there. Great tute! Love it!

Blessings, ~Michelle

michelle said...

I love them Jenni! I think that they are wonderful in any size! I hope to make one this year, or two! :)

Happy New Year!

Burlap Luxe said...

Hi Jenni
I wanted to get by to wish you a Happy New Year

"Bonne année, Le plus heureux des nouvelles années."

Love the creative arts you make, you are like the queen at all the creative little things you create. You know those fun sit and watch T.V while creating...I too found that time this year to sit and create, but girl you have me topped. :)

I cannot wait to see what next you come up with.

See you soon.
xx
~Dore

sarah@homeismore said...

Love love love! I have had the original version marked in my files since I first saw it on your blog. Hopefully I will get around to making it soon.

Robin Beck said...

Love them Jenni-So cute! I'm having a hard time getting of the Christmas crafting and getting on with Spring crafting this year!
I hope you and your sister's new year has been wonderful so far.

Hubby and I had the best two days over at the coast...When we got home our daughter dropped Noelle off-Noelle ended up coming down with the flu at about midnight on New Years! She had it really really bad for a two year old. She is just now feeling better though she isn't eating and is sleeping alot. The way I look at it...We got the bad out of the way for New Years so now everything else is just looking up!

God Bless You both this year!

Love,
Me

Unknown said...

Jenni,
Those are so cute! I think I could sit and make several of them; they look fun. Thanks for the tutorial!

Nancy

AttemptingAloha said...

Definitely going to be stealing this idea this week...now how to sneak it past my husband while he has the week off...?? ;)

Aloha,

charlie

Tiff said...

Hi Jenni, I love these little versions of your wreath! I also love working with felt so I will definitely be making these when I get home from my holiday in Melbourne! I love going away on holidays to gather ideas..... but my fingers get itchy for crafty projects!
Thanks for stopping by my blog & your kind comments, I did not get my ideal giant destination roll.... so I bought it as a tea towel! I have used Sydney ones for cushions and they look fab, they could also be stretched for the wall...
Have a happy crafty New Year!
Tiff x

Amy Chalmers said...

Hi jenni,
thanks for visiting my blog! I am following you now! I love the little mini wreaths, so sweet, I can picture them in pale pink at valentines day!

Anonymous said...

I am forever in awe of your creativity. What a neat idea. Happy New Year!!!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Love all your wreaths...I'm hoping to get some time this winter so I can make some.

Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

I love the wreath! It looks fantastic. I would love to make one, and keep it up all year long.I would love to make some for valentines day too!

Kathy

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Are you okay, Jenni? You've been unusually quiet. I'm sure it's just the busyness of this time of year...but I just thought I'd pop by and make sure.

Sarahx

Simple Home said...

How cute these are! I really love the ticking one :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Oona Johnson said...

I LOVE the little wreaths! They are ridiculously precious and would be wonderful as present toppers!

Anonymous said...

So cute! Looks like something right out of the Pottery Barn catalog!!!

Simple Home said...

I wanted to ask you how you made the scrolling blog button box? I just made a blot button, but I haven't figured out how to put other blog buttons on my blog with a uniform look. They seem to sit on top of each other in various sizes. I've been looking into it, but still have some learning to do :-) Your little boxes are a great idea.
Thank you for any help you can provide.
Blessings,
Marcia

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

Your wreaths are adorable! Thanks for sharing. Visiting from Tatertots & Jello

Jo-Anna@APrettyLife said...

Very pretty!
Jo-Anna

Steph @ Birdhouse said...

I love the wreath! So creative. Thanks for sharing.

Rachael@Lovely Crafty Home said...

Love love love love this. I want to stick my face in it, really. If I hadn't just spent 20 hours on a book page wreath I would totally attempt this right now LOL. Would love for you to share on my weekend linky party!

WobiSobi said...

Wow, This is too too cute.. Following. Such a great Blog...

About Southern Belle said...

I like how you placed the wreath over the white painted window shutter. Very nice Jenni!

Michelle said...

SO cute! Such a pretty wreath. I love that it's so simple :)

Ruth said...

I love both of the wreaths. Simple and gorgeous. Thanks for the tutorial.

Ruth

Simply Bungalow said...

Love the mini wreaths. I've made a big one but the ornaments are wonderful. What a fun idea!
~Heidi

Elizabeth said...

I love that you made them tiny! Would love for you to come visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made With Love Monday! The party will be open all week if you'd like to link up multiple projects. Have a great day! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

AttemptingAloha said...

I just finally posted my heart-shaped wreaths, and I used and linked to your tutorial here. :)

http://attemptingaloha.blogspot.com/2011/01/valentines-display-finally-using-my.html

Aloha!

Charlie

Heather @ Waking up in Vegas said...

So stinkin cute! And it looks like something that I could actually finish...Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend:)

CCE said...

Very cute! I'd like to hang mine with raffia or twine.

sandra said...

BELLISSIME!!!

BEAUTIFUL!

GRAZIE E BUONA GIORNATA

Our Pinteresting Family said...

What a gorgeous wreath! I love it!!

abo-bder said...



شركة تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض
تركيب ستائر بالرياض
شركة تركيب ستائر بالرياض
شركة تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض
شركة نقل اثاث من الرياض الى جدة
فني تركيب ستلايت بالرياض
فني تركيب ستلايت بالرياض


yanmaneee said...

yeezy
golden goose slide
golden goose
bape hoodie
vans outlet
balenciaga shoes
michael kors bags
louboutin outlet
birkin bag
michael kors handbags

Anonymous said...

off white
paul george shoes
off white shoes
adidas yeezy
goyard tote bag